Monday, January 12, 2009

Don't Touch That!

I didn't blog yesterday. I'm sure you are all deeply saddened and disturbed by this but yesterday was one of our free days. We woke up early, around 7:30am, and went to the shops near the Monastiraki. The shop owners and workers are very intense. They almost make you feel obligated because they are ridiculously friendly bordering on creepy!

Me, Alex, and Brooke got lunch at a nice restaurant but were rather surprised when we got the bill. I got a tortellini dish that was about 9 euro-way too much for just pasta and sauce. We spent another half an hour trying to figure out how to get back to the hotel because I’m apparently incompetent when it comes to finding my around places on foot as opposed to car.

We climbed up a hill to a monument, which I can’t seem to remember the name. We started walking up the trail but we decided to off road it a bit and instead dangled off the side of the mountain : P We got some great pictures of the city at that height and some very intense Top Model pictures. On the way down I got some great pictures of Katie right outside of Secretes’ Prison.

Dinner was an awful experience. The man serving us was missing his two front teeth and REEKED of body odor. The Gyro Chicken meal I got wasn’t amazing. The chicken was fatty and some pieces were over cooked and really fatty.

The rest of night was spent on the town with out local bartender Babice as our guide.

I woke up this morning at around 9:30 and then made my way to the parliament building where we watched the guards of the Parliament Building switch. It was very interesting but mildly melodramatic. Me, TJ, Chris, and Tony got lost on the way back to the hotel…I’m really bad at navigating my way around this city.

At 13:00 we went to the Archeological Museum. This has probably been one of my favorite things about Athens so far. The tour went chronologically through time and the work of the later sculptures are beautiful! I’ve always noticed Athena out of all the Gods and Goddesses and looking back on it I think it’s because of my love for strong female figures like Hillary Clinton : )

2 comments:

  1. I am jealous...wish I could be there with you. Anyways, hope you're having a good time. See ya when you get home.

    P.S. I talked to gramma she said she waited all day for a call from you...so maybe give her a call

    Love,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I called her either monday and said I'd call her later in the week...maybe you just talked to her before that...

    ReplyDelete