Thursday, January 8, 2009

Different Shades of Beige




After being in the largest and smallest planes I have been flown in in one day, we get to Athens where the almost every building is a different shade of beige. I was surprised by the large hills in the landscape and enjoyed the cloudy skies. I'm pretty sure my baggage was one of the last to come out which made me all kinds of excited.

The bus ride from the airport to the hotel was marked by almost running over small cars, mopeds, and people. Traffic is rather awful in this city. With the amount of cars parked on the side of the street, some not in the same direction, it's surprising I didn't see anyone take off a side-view mirror. Once we arrived at the hotel, rather, once we arrived in the middle of the street and walked to our hotel, we stood outside because the lobby of the hotel was capable of holding abut seven people. My room was on the top floor, which I carried my suitcase to because I thought I heard that the elevator was broken - it was not.

The rest of the day was filled with sleep and food. Lunch was an experience itself mainly because of figuring out how to order and how much to tip. The titles of the foods were in English but the descriptions were in Greek. My sandwich was made with prosciutto and had zucchini and tomato. The Greek salad that came with it was a nice added surprise. After a couple hour nap we took a tour Syntagma Square and went past many different shops and made our way to a restraunt where we dined on many different side dishes and Souvalki. The dinner was amazing in addition to the Retsina.

The rest of the night was spent roaming the city drinking wine and other various drinks…

2 comments:

  1. who needs hot water anyhow. you got your freinds, good food and wine. life is good, dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. The picture of the food makes it look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete